Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Not Alone

(Continued from The Telling)


I walked all that day swinging the sword in the air and at times resting. To my amazement, my arms did not grow weary, but gained in strength as I continued north in this manner. I got to where I could make a full swing above my head and bring the sword’s tip down gently and touch the center of a select pebble lying on the ground. Joy flowed through my body in pulses and filled me up.

By nightfall I was nothing less than exuberant I was so filled with Joy in this manner. As darkness settled over the land and twilight receded in the west, stars by the millions appeared in the moonless sky. So filled with Divine Happiness was I that sleep seemed impossible. The shine from the sword lit my way. I could see with ease where to walk and was in no danger of tripping or falling over the edge. I continued sweeping the air around me with the sword. I was still on the edge of the abyss which below took the appearance of a dark lake. The fog that prevented me from seeing its great depth looked like a solid surface of water in the night view.

At the point where I stood, the abyss curved around toward the northeast like a great river that could not be crossed. I noticed at this point other faintly glowing hues of light the color of which was not unlike that of the sword I carried. These many lights sparsely distributed along the rim were glittering so that at first I thought they were stars twinkling. But as true night settled in I saw that they were swinging for closer at hand I could see the longer finger of blades being swung in the same fashion as I swung my sword in the air.

O Lord, I thought. Thank you! I see that I am not at all alone for there are many like me who have made their way to the edge of dawn. I stood in silent awe at this view counting numbers that did not matter until they were so faint in the distance both up and down the edge of the chasm that they disappeared into minute nothingness.

The peace this site brought to my heart cannot be imagined, nor can I describe it. I knew these were the blades of many believers who believed as I, who had come out of the world to find God.

###

No comments: