Sunday, January 7, 2007

Crystal Clear

I'm studying daily to bring my dream into reality. I have an amount of time set aside for this purpose every day. Though I am flexible as to when I use it, I am committed to using that time every single day. In the course of this study I have realized that one of the key ingredients to creating a positive outcome is a well-defined dream.

I used to think that a person with a personal vision was someone who was endowed with it from early on. I no longer think that. I've come to believe that defining and holding a dream is a choice one makes and can make at any time in their life.

In a world fraught with conflict, oppression, monetary slavery, and worldly wants it seems increasingly more difficult to hold and carry a dream. I handle this under the self-created credo: Carry The Dream, Work The Day.

The credo works to keep me on track. I know I'm not laying down the dream when I go into my work day. The dream remains alive, steeping on the stove top of work like a good soup, there to refresh me when I take a break or find the need to remember where I'm headed.

Like a good soup, my dream has a recipe, too. I work to perfect it. I've come to believe from studying others that the best dreams are crystal clear in definition.

Weeks ago, before launching this blog, I set out to define my dream. I wanted a picture of the best I could attain. I began journal ling to discover those "things I'd like to see develop in my lifetime." With my journal, I captured the thoughts, hopes and wants so that I could look at them intelligently and making decisions that would favor such things.

I think many people don't realize a dream or don't have one because they think a dream is defined entirely in one sitting. Not so, in my opinion. I let mine stew. I added this and that as the weeks went on and refined it. I threw out many ideas that by seeing them on paper became lesser priorities, things I recognized as diversions, side-tracking or excuses.

Now I have an exceptional stew on the stove of progress. And I've gained a kind of patient confidence in defining my dream as I make it crystal clear. Though my dream may be very large, it can be reached and will, I believe, become reality before I'm gone.

And in considering the end of the race (for one day it will end), the best dream I can define for myself includes a plan for succession and legacy. God willing, I will leave a positive influence to assist in the personal growth of other people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Dwayne, you say : "I know I'm not laying down the dream when I go into my work day. " Well, I'd think you should reflect on that. If you make your dream into something separate from your life, or separate life into various compartments, you may be missing quite a lot, imo.
Cheers!

Dwayne K. Parsons said...

Thanks for the thought. I'm reflecting and will continue to do so. I think we're on the same track however. What I see in my generation (the aging set) is a whole lot of people who have stopped believing they can have a better, more fulfilled life--when in fact, they can. Usually, it's the tediousness or flatness of their chosen job(s) that takes them out of the passion to attain something. The devotion of my attention to this site is to discuss and hold firm that change is always possible, so long as we don't lay down the dream that once had passion in our life.